Most of you know that my dad is very ill with cancer. He is an amazing man who has pastored the same church for over 35 years. Three years ago around Christmas time, the doctors told us he wouldn't live to make it out of the ICU; however, he has a strong will and the Lord wasn't quite finished with him yet. He has been bed-bound for quite some time and has been unable to preach, but it's amazing the incredible influence he is still having even on his hospice bed.
He had a special wish that he could have all of the people that loved him gather together and fellowship with him all at once. My mom immediately set into action to make it happen. We had a special service for him in the church. There was such a sweet spirit and it was such an HONOR to get to show him our appreciation while he is still alive. Most people wait until a funeral to do this sort of thing, but it was such a privilege to bring in his closest friends and family to honor him and to hear him give the Lord praise, as he always does.
My sisters and I spent the entire week at my parents' house to help them get ready for the big day.
We of course had to take a day to shop together! Fun fun fun!!
Eating Chinese...Yummy!
My dad was raised on a large farm in Harrington, Deleware where they owned several John Deere tractors. He loves John Deere tractors so my sister Kim made aprons with John Deere material for all of the siblings and grandkids to wear while serving the food after the service. They turned out so cute!
Kim hard at work.

All the grandkids posing with my dad with their aprons on.

One way of keeping the kids entertained while we worked!
It was a lot of work and preparation, but well worth it! STAY TUNED FOR PART 2!
5 comments:
Kelly...It was so nice to hear from you...thanks for your sweet comments! :)
How awesome that you all honored your Dad in this special way...I have often thought that it would be so nice for people to share good thoughts, memories and appreciation with others while they are here on earth. Your love for your Dad shines through, and I am sure that you all made him so happy. He sounds like such a wonderful, godly person. Will look forward to seeing all of the pictures!
Hope that you are having a good school year...Love the pic at that top of your post! You have a beautiful family! :)
I love the new layout on your blog. I love Fall!
What a special tribute to your dad. We had the Forsees over last night for pizza, and they were telling us about the day. Glad that it turned out so nicely.
What a blessing to be able to celebrate your Godly Dad in this way. I know it was well worth the efforts, and an example of truly honoring a life well lived. (that's a cute new blog pic!)
Kelly, I didn't know your dad had cancer.I'm so sorry. I always thought so much of your parents. Your dad is truly a wonderful man and I'm sure it is so hard to see him so sick. The wonderful part is he won't be sick forever! I'll be praying for all of you. Please tell your parents I said hello. Susanna Pilmore
What a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing the pictures!
Post a Comment