Thursday afternoon we headed for Gatlinburg, TN to vacation for a few days with David's family.
We always look forward to this stop - the rest area/information center at the Tennessee border. The kids always grab up TONS of brochures(and then we have them all over the van all week:)
The chalet was luxurious and had a gorgeous view from the deck. Since we were there to celebrate Tim's (David's brother) birthday, he chose the room he wanted which was a king size on the first floor with jacuzzi. David and I stayed in the loft which was very spacious, had a gorgeous view of the mountains, a private bathroom with a jacuzzi - very nice! One of the highlights for me was having family devotions together. David's dad read a Psalm and prayed with us. I told my children, "this is the most important thing we'll do all day" and I truly meant that!
The kids had a nice time at the race track. As it can get very expensive, I gave them a limit of five tickets a piece and they chose the rides they wanted to ride.
The favorite for my kids every time we go is wading in the water and feeding the ducks and pigeons in the Little Pigeon River.
This is how we ended our trip in Gatlinburg - stuck on the side of the road with a flat tire and no spare. We were about half a mile from the exit and I was scared to sit in the car with the kids by myself, so we dragged our four sleepy kids out of the van and started trecking down the side of the interstate. We must have looked a site! A very nice man (who was a state trooper detective) was on his way to dinner with his girlfriend, and stopped and drove us to the exit. He knew many contacts and made lots of phone calls and finally contacted a very nice man who owned a garage and came and towed us to his garage and put a brand new Goodyear tire on for us - all for very little charge (Thank the Lord!) and we were on our way again - headed to spend the rest of our vacation with my family at Pop Pop and Nanny's house!
One of MANY stops for us - changing diapers!










14 comments:
I was so glad to see your pictures. It sounds like you all had a nice time. I asked Samuel if he would like to rent something like this for a week, and he said, "No, a year." It looks so peaceful. We are looking forward to seeing you in a few days.
Whew! Looks like quite a time. All that relaxing limbers you up just in time to face the rat-race again, huh?!? What a cute bunch of kids you have.
Thanks for your comment on my blog. I'm back from vacation myself. It was wonderful, but it is funny how you sorta need a vacation after your vacation!!
ta-ta for now.....
LOVE all the pictures! I just can't get over how much those munchkins have grown! So adorable!
Loved all the pics and the fun update! It looks like y'all had a blast! That brought tears to my eyes what you said about having family devotions together! What wonderful memories.
Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog, and for your prayers. We couldn't make it without them. We are a little lonely since it's 4th of July, and since Phillip is in Medellin. =( Hoping to scrapbook today, to help me. =)
Love, Heather =)
Adorable kids. The world is getting smaller. I have been putting bits and pieces together and this thread confirms my suspisions. We know Patty and Tim. We know Patty from UBC days so I always forget their last name. I read her blog the other day and wondered if you guys were related. Now I know! :-)
Pictures are so much fun! I really enjoyed them. Had such a fun time with everyone on our family vacation. It just went by way too fast, as they always do.
Bummer you had to work today and miss the parade!! Tonight me and one of the girls from church are going to a display that's near my home. First we're meeting on the square at this little restraunt that I hear has awesome cheeseburger and fries, so we are going to try it out and then head for the fireworks. I think Kevin might be in town but not for sure about that. MJ and the girls stayed home......all Charlie's fault! HA!
HAPPY JULY 4TH!!!
LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU BUNCHES!!
Prior message from me. No idea what I'm doing! LOL! Sorry :)
Love bunches,
Kathy & Kippie
Glad you had a good vacation, in spite of a flat tire!! Thanks for sharing the post and pictures!!
Enjoyed seeing all the pictures. I had to laugh about your kids getting brochures at the rest area. On our last trip down there, we stopped at a welcome center that was giving away free popcorn and soft drinks. Not only did the kids load up on brochures, but they still talk about that place like it was one of the highlights of the trip! Aren't kids so funny...we never know what's really going to "click" with them!
Soundsl like a great place to stay in the Smokies...can you email the infor re renting it...I'm serious!!!
So cool to see your pics. We are headed there tomorrow!! YAY!!!!! Can't wait!!
Vacation... they go so quickly. Looks like you had a great time! I've been right there with you on car problems on vacation, not quite how you plannned it:(thanks for sharing
Janella
Kelly;
So glad you all had a nice time. Don't you just love changing diapers in a vehicle? The only thing worse is taking them potty in a disgusting public restroom. (thank God I have boys.:) I know the people in the other stalls always think I'm a control freak Mom, because I say, "Ok, keep your hands folded and don't touch anything, no don't lean on the walls , stand up, the floor is dirty, this place is full of germs!" Someone really needs to make a short potty for kiddos in public restrooms. Ok, how did I get here? Oh yes, you were changing a diaper in the front seat of your van. Anyway, welcome back.
Kelly, I got your comment on my blog about Aunt Ginny, and I typed you a letter about her, but I can't send it to your blog spot address that you gave me. Can you give me your email address?
Thanks, love, Heather =)
Post a Comment