Monday, May 14, 2007

Happy Mother's Day!!!

I got to spend the weekend with the most beautiful and special lady in the whole world - my mother! She is truly the most gracious and lovely lady in my life.

I have memories of every day when I got off the school bus and walked in the door, I was greeted by Mom with a kiss. She always had the table beautifully set with cloth napkins and dinner on the table as soon as I walked in the door. After everyone else was done eating and up from the table, 30 minutes later I was still sitting there eating and talking and talking and talking (I eat a lot and talk a lot - ask David!). Mom never got up. She patiently sat there with me and listened to every word I had to say.

I watched her time and time again turn the other cheek and love and care for and pray for the people who hurt her the most. I watched her be a beautiful hostess to both holiness leaders and to homeless people and treat them all with graceful hospitality.

She is a wonderful Nanny too. My children love her dearly and she spoils them rotten.

She truly is my greatest role model and friend!

We did, however, miss not being with David’s Mom this weekend. She too is a wonderful Mother and Grandma. She works hard to keep her family together and to keep us close. Sunday after Sunday, she fixes a beautiful dinner for her two sons, two daughter-in-laws and eight grandchildren and then has us all back over again for a snack Sunday night. I know a lot of time, love, energy and money goes into those meals. My children love her as well. They’re always begging me and David to go on a date so they can stay for a few hours at Grandma’s house.

David and I are truly blessed to have such wonderful mothers. We love you both!!!

Here are a few of my favorite pictures I pulled out of some old files. The ones of my mother on Mother's Day were from this Sunday.




David and the children gave me beautiful red roses along with a few other very nice gifts and made me feel very loved and appreciated. I love my family! I consider it the greatest honor that God has entrusted my four beautiful children and my AWESOME husband into my care! - What a privilege!

17 comments:

sarahmfry said...

I read your comment on Heather's blog about your family prayer time for missionaries, etc. I'd love to read more about how you do things!!!

sarahmfry said...

P.S. Do you always blog at 5 am? :)

Kelly S said...

Thanks for the comment Sarah. It is fun to get new ideas from other Mommys. That's the fun of blogging. I'll try to post more about that kind of thing in the future.

I work a full time job doing medical transcription for The Health Alliance (an alliance of about 6 hospitals in Cinci and NOrthern Kentucky) and I do it from home. I start at 3:30-4:00 a.m. so that I'm off soon after my kids get up. I blog during my little breaks. So yes, sometimes very very early!

Marty said...

Kelly - I wondered how you got everything done...Early riser! Are you done with school yet?

The Dickinsons said...

Thanks Dear Kelly for the kind words...and FOR YOUR PRAYERS!! I am not just saying words when I say that WE COULD NOT BE HERE IN COLOMBIA WITHOUT PEOPLE'S PRAYERS!! It seems like (as you know from reading my blog) every day can turn into a disaster, or a problem arise, or a baby die, etc...and WE NEED GOD'S STRENGTH AND HELP TO BE ABLE TO HELP THE COLOMBIANS SEE JESUS! Living in a different culture is not EASY either. There are times when we just want to roll our eyes in despair at the GOOFY, RETARDED THINGS that they do here. Things that if you would let it, they could get you down, discouraged, or outright BUGGED! (EXAMPLE: everyone here is very forward...so they walk into a store AND BARGE TO THE FRONT OF THE LINE, DEMANDING what they need, Inspite of the fact that there are 5 people ahead of them that have been standing in line. And the cashier HELPS THEM FIRST...so then everyone does that, for they know they'll get helped first. THAT IS WHEN WE MISS THE ORDERLINESS OF THE GOOD OLE USA!! =) So, it's during these times...THAT WE KNOW THAT PEOPLE ARE PRAYING FOR US, for God helps us to stay sweet and try to show Jesus anyhow! Seriously, we are a TEAM...Y'all there praying in the USA, and us here. AND ONLY ETERNITY WILL REVEAL ALL THAT YOUR PRAYERS HAVE DONE! Phillip told me the other day, that we could work until we are blue in the face, and yet not see souls, BUT THAT IF WE STAY ON OUR KNEES BEFORE GOD...and work, then God does way more than we could ever dream of.
So, all of that to say,... that
WE REALLY APPRECIATE IT WHEN YOU PRAY! =)
I love learning new things from other ladies and Mommies too! Like after reading what time you get up,...maybe I should get up earlier! =)
Have a wonderful day,
Love, Heather =)

Julia said...

Kelly;

I really enjoyed the beautiful photos. I don't know your mom, but I know she must be all you said she is, because she brought a lovely gracious daughter.

sarahmfry said...

I thought of doing transcription....great to work at home! But I have one question: WHEN DO YOU SLEEP?!?!

The Dickinsons said...

Kelly, I DID NOT MEAN TO WRITE SUCH A LONG "BOOK" on my last comment...I must find a Publishing Co. to print it for me! =)
Just wanted to tell you that I really enjoyed your 2 slide shows, and that you are looking GREAT after having 4 children. =) We were wondering the same thing, "WHEN DOES SHE SLEEP?"

Have a wonderful day,
Love, Heather

Nancy said...

I enjoyed all your pictures. Looks like you had a lovely Mother's Day. You have a lovely family all the way around!

Making Memories 1999 said...

Thank you for sharing the great pictures! I'm glad you had a lovely Mother's Day!!

kayla said...

Beautiful pictures. Your kids are so cute.
Did your sister Kim not get to be with you? That's a bummer.

Esther Hilling said...

Hope you had a great Mother's Day. You have a beautiful family. Can't wait to see you again.

Kelly S said...

Heather and Sarah - I don't recommend it! I get very little sleep - about 3-4 hours a night. I used to do it with no problem before I had Kara - my last baby. But since having her, I have struggled with needing to take naps in the afternoon (which I have no time for!). I prayed and asked God to take that need away and he has! - so I can function normally without the naps. But...I don't recommend it!

Mary Ellen said...

Ok girlie - I'm going to have to send you some articles on how only getting that few hours of sleep is incredibly bad for your health!!!! (the mommy in me is scolding you)

Very nice tribute to your two Mom's, I'm sure it made both of their days.

Kimberly said...

I don't know your Mom but I do know Erma and she is a special lady..a woman of prayer. Very nice post! (Get some sleep:)..i strongly believe in it's restorative powers.)

Derek Hickman said...

Hi Kelly! I didn't know you read my blog. I remember you from HSBC. You were there, and I was there. My brother Paul once broke his ankle trying to kill a cockroach that was scaring you. Seems you were scared of those little things! TTYL.

Kim M. said...

Love your mother's day tributes. You all looked so nice! And in regards to the sleep deprivation... I don't know how you do it and still keep your thoughts straight!